Friday, October 20, 2000

The "Stuff I Fucked Up" Page

Here I post up corrections to my translations that either I find myself, or that various people send me. These changes will be incorporated into the DVD script release, but until then you can see them on this page and find out how bad my Japanese really is!

And remember, if you find an error that's not listed here, feel free to tell me about it.




School Rumble episode 1:

11:43 - Uh, damn, I misspelled "incompetent". And come to think of it, "sentence" at the beginning of the episode in the notes, too. Oops. Sue me, I can't spell.

These are from mchivash:
13:02 - Tenma actually says machigaeta (I MESSED UP [AGAIN]!) in this scene, not maji ka (ARE YOU SERIOUS?!)
13:39 - The comment refers to Harima's eye (as in the Tenma's bishoujoka, not ˆ¤) - something to the effect of "View changed/distorted by Harima's love"
13:54 - shokuinshitsu (staff room) not shokuin (staff member) - "Maybe he made threats at the staff office until they let him go up a grade."
14:57 - Tennouji as opposed to Tennoushi.
15:09 - Tennouji is implying that he's going to break more than just 2-3 ribs, not that he feels sorry for them. - "I'm going to break more than just 2 or 3 of your ribs!"
16:08 - kokoro no komatta is a little different from "implying a blahblah heart". The implication was that he really put whoever wrote the letter really put his heart into writing it. - "It's a warm and wonderful letter which was written with all of one's heart, isn't it?"
16:25 - I would have translated this as "You're the one that's not making any sense!"




School Rumble episode 2:

1:11 - oops, I left in a "cannot" in here. I guess I should start getting somebody else to QC my stuff so I don't miss errors like this.

From Jimmy Hu:
I missed the "mikka" (3 days) part of the line. The exchange should go something like:
Girl 1: I skipped breakfast today.
Girl 2: I haven't eaten for three days! Thanks to that, I've lost 700 grams!
[...]
Girl 3: You're telling me that three days' worth of meals is only worth 700 grams?

From Bigblah:
15:58
"Please gentle..."
Should be "Please be gentle..."





School Rumble episode 3:

Man, more typos than I thought in this one. Oops.

From Bigblah:
00:03
Contination -> 'Continuation'
(2nd instance is spelt correctly...)

00:14
souveniers -> correct spelling is 'souvenirs'

02:21
...and try to draw them as best (as) you can.

14:09
repertoir -> correct spelling is 'repertoire'

16:49
Well, if you want to put it simply, I guess so.

20:32
molestors -> correct spelling is 'molesters'
(it's spelled correctly in all subsequent instances though)


From Alex Kwong:
14:05
That should be "agedashi tofu". Which means... "fried tofu". Oops. Shows how much I know about food.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! love the work you are doing. I wanted to email you but for some reason gmail is not working for me atm. you asked for a suggestion for difference between male and female nurses. I think OBGYN would have worked while not technically a nurse for the female only. I can't think of anything for strictly males at this time. Anyways, thanks for putting out School Rumble!

October 21, 2004 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need a proofreader or QC check, drop me a line at the following email address after it's despammed.

builder1.removeme@limitofx.antispam.com

October 22, 2004 at 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i aprreciate wat yu are doing, even though yu might mess up on a few things, i didnt notice at all... haha well i just wanna leave yu some probs keep up the good work mang... and again i appreciate yu for subbing this series.

October 26, 2004 at 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the fantastic work. Your releases are far better than that crap the other wannabe group released. Your Eps 3 work is worth waiting for........!!!!! :D

October 29, 2004 at 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your subs are better than that *other* group. No two ways about it! Hope you can stick with it till the end!

November 3, 2004 at 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dancing Tenma>all

November 5, 2004 at 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sorry to ask, mainly because this probably aint the place to post questions like this. What is a DVD script release? Is this released in America with official translators or is it just japanese releases, and re-subbed for higher quality? Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work!

Jenovat

November 9, 2004 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though there are some mistakes, I can see through them, in general.

Bottom line: keep up the good work!! This show is awesome, and you've done a good job of maintaining our understandings of it. Not bad at all for someone who has been at it for only a half year!!

November 16, 2004 at 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.o
You've been studying Japanese only for less than half a year... <.<

For some reason it's really hard to believe... 'cause /me didn't see any errors.

Keep up the awesome work

November 18, 2004 at 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would really like to thank you for the great work. As someone said earlier, your subs are much better than any of the other subs, I only think that the text can be too fast at sometimes, and the upper notices during the play of the episode should appear a little bit earlier and last a little bit longer as well.

Keep it up, your subs rock!

November 19, 2004 at 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I also wanted to say thanks and all. I was going to ask if maybe you might release a v2 of the entire thing with these corrections after the series is completed and maybe make a batch torrent. Just thought I'd make the suggestion, but it might be too much work for what it's worth. Maybe release a txt version of the mistakes or something. I like the fact that you post your mistakes here, most fansubs wouldn't do that. Amazing job and keep up the good work!
Also, if you need any help quality checking I might be able to help (depends how much time it takes/finals coming up): I'm Abe in the IRC chan if you need any help.

November 23, 2004 at 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do decide to fix the corrections in all of your releases, you could do what Anime-Keep did for ep 6 of Grenadier: release a patch. That way, you wouldn't have to do the entire ep all over again. Not to mention that patches are faster to download than eps. Maybe you could post a batch patch file (heh heh, that sounded funny).

December 10, 2004 at 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. Your work is by far better than [A4L] and [WF]s. They don't get any of the puns or all the other funny bits. I love School Rumble and I love you!

December 11, 2004 at 7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i did notice some error but not that much. Keep all the fansubbing works!!!! I only waits for your releases !!!

December 16, 2004 at 2:26 AM  
Blogger posters said...

You can always use microsoft word to check you spelling :/

December 18, 2004 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Wow, it's really amazing that you are this good at Japanese, only half a year and not a single lecture! The typos are so few that they slip through unnoticed, what I like most of you releases is the pre-ep notes. They are both interesting and make the episode more fun to watch, great idea! Those notes combined with the, shall we call it enthusiastic translation makes your subs better than any other I've watched! Keep up the good work.
\\ Ted

January 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your subs man. :) It looks like you're not active anymore, but I wanted to say how much I loved your fansub of School Rumble. I loved your pre-episode comments, it makes it MUCH more enjoyable to be able to watch the episode and "get" everything instead of pausing everytime an onscreen comment comes up.

Thanks again and hope to see you do more of anything!

September 12, 2007 at 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home